Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Crux of the Matter

As children, we used to spend off-school days in my aunts' hometown. Because I had always preferred to stay in one corner, reading books or whatever magazine I find instead of playing with the cousins (which incidentally gave my relatives the lasting impression that I am of superior intelligence, at least compared with my kin; a misconception that I was too proud, or lazy, to correct), one day while I was on my corner, blankly staring at the wall, this frame that contains a long prose titled Desiderata caught my eye. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that those lines changed my life. Only not at that exact moment but many more years later, when I was old enough to really relate with what Max Ehrmann was blabbing about. But I never forgot that I saw it first on that wall, which must mean that it did make an impression that early.

That being said, I revisited Desiderata today, through the very efficient way of researching called Googling, and it boggled my mind to realize that I was reading it wrong the entire time. I did say it changed my life, yes? Because I've always believed that I am a good person because I read those lines and say, Oh yes! Well today, when I was needing a little upliftment from feeling guilty of wanting to shun parts of my usual company, Desiderata failed me.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection

and

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexations to the spirit

but

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons


If being myself means that I should not pretend to be happy about people who prove to be "vexations to my spirit," how can I be "on good terms" with them if they expect me to show the level of tolerance and kindness that, to me, is bordering on unneeded, even unworthy to some degree?

Call me jaded but I stopped being always agreeable when I realized that you get walked all over that way - you become a doormat; people love your company because it makes them feel better about themselves; because you're easy.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery

but

But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness

I am not on a hate campaign mission. Far from it. I'm merely striving for balance. To keep peace in (my) soul; to be cheerful and strive to be happy. Even if it means I have to be unwelcoming sometimes.

No comments: